Sunday, October 14, 2007

"It's for Paris. I'm on this new diet. It's very effective..."


To know me, is to know I absolutely love love love the movie The Devil Wears Prada. I can take or leave the book, but the movie...I can watch it for hours on end, quote it, and giggle every time.

One of my favorite scenes in the entire movie is when Andrea notices how much weight her coworker, Emily, has lost. Emily's response?

"It's for Paris. I'm on this new diet. It's very effective. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint, I eat a piece of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight."

It cracks me up every time...particularly because I don't doubt that this is what it's like for those who work in the fashion industry. Now, while I can't say I'm about to adopt Emily's radical eating plan (even though I do love cheese), I suddenly share her motivation.

Turns out that Mr. CCC and I will be ringing in the new year in you guessed it...Paris!

The words "ecstatic," "thrilled" and "can hardly wait" don't even come close to describing how I feel right now. In approximately 74 days, we'll be boarding an Air France flight and heading to the City of Lights.

And guess what? I don't want to look like a clumsy, fat American in the capital of fashion.

Shallow? Sure. I never said I was deep 100% of the time.

While Emily's character needs only one stomach flu to reach her goal weight, I'll need several full-blown attacks of dysentery to reach mine. But I do know that I can accomplish quite a bit in 74 days. So this past week, I kicked it into high gear.

My goal? To lose 15 pounds between now and the time I'm packing my suitcase. According to my WW meeting yesterday, I'm already on my way. I lost another 1.6 pounds, bringing me to my lowest weight in years. Hooray!

I've set this goal for myself for several other reasons too. Yes, looking good in Paris is one of them (I'm beyond tired of positioning myself behind Mr. CCC in vacation photos to hide fat), but I know the holidays are coming...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...if I don't set my mind right now and have a goal in mind, I could have a little disaster on my hands. Not going to happen.

Another reason? The Florida Girl that I am, I have never in my life needed to wear a coat. But I have always loved the glamour of a well-cut trench coat. They're just so fashionable. So chic. So glamorous. And after researching the weather in Paris in December I realized...I need a coat.

So what did I do? Bought myself a fabulous black, 3/4 length trench coat that makes me look tres chic.

The only drawback? While it cinches beautifully on my waist and buttons, it's a little tight on my chest. Once I'm wearing a sweater and some layers underneath said coat, there's a slight chance it won't close properly.

Unless I lose 15 pounds.

So there you have it...some women lose weight to fit in a bathing suit...I'm losing weight to fit into a coat. And to ring in 2008 looking as fabulous as possible!

7 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

I'm also a fan of DWP movie and you've quoted one of my favorite lines too. There is nothing like a little Ooo-la-la to kick the motivation up a notch!! Paris will be so much fun!

Teale said...

Great job on the loss this week! That's great progress, and I think 15 pounds by the new year is totally doable!

Lora said...

OMG! Paris! How exciting!! You can definately lose 15 pounds in the next 74 days if you really try. I'll be rooting for you nad trying to reach the same goal.

As for Halloween....do what I do ~ buy really gross candy to hand out that you won't be tempted to eat yourself.

Shannon said...

I assume you're not talking about Paris, TN either!!! :-) GOOD FOR YOU! What a wonderful place to be for New Year's! I am thrilled for you and your husband! And what another great incentive for you!

YOU GO, CCC!!!

Heather said...

That is SOOOO exciting. I am jealous, I have always wanted to go there. I am sure you will meet your goal and look fabulous in that coat. I think your goal is a great one.

ElleBee said...

Paris, luck you!! NYE will be soooo much fun there and you're gonna look smashing in that new coat :)

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

OH...MY..STARS!

You're spending New Year's in Paris. How green with envy am I? VERY GREEN. Kermit isn't as green.

Oh, now there's motivation. All those skinny Parisian woman walking around in chic clothes.

I wish I were thin and chic. Never been thin. Never been chic. One can dream. :)

You can lose 15 pounds in 2 months plus. FER SURE.

Get going. Paris is waiting...

The Princess--who lost quite a lot of weight in one day from a stomach flu, so Emily wasn't joking!