Friday, April 25, 2008

Moving at a snail's pace...

I have to admit--my absence this week has had as much to do with my crazy work schedule (I'm sitting in yet another hotel room as I type this!) and my general 'bummed out-ness.'

This week marked a month of training with Ms. A...after a disappointing showing on my scale at home, I decided to fess up to her that I didn't think much anything was happening. We sat down to do my measurements, measure my body fat percentage and see how much weight I'd lost according to her scale.

Her scale showed a 3-pound loss (mine showed a 1-pound loss), I've lost just 1 1/4 total inches off my body and my body fat percentage was down 0.01.

Progress? Yes, but I'm crawling along. And Ms. A wasn't happy. So we sat down and talked about my diet--it's not ideal yet, but still. She kept shaking her head and saying, "You should be losing more than this..."

We came up with a few plans--cut down on rice and carbs and start making the switch from white, refined carbs to whole wheat. But she also said I should do something I've been putting off--go see my doctor.

I've been dreading going to see my doctor for a while. Partly because I'm afraid hearing something is wrong. But my lack of weight-loss progress isn't the only thing going on. I haven't been feeling like myself lately. And as if some sort of divine intervention was going on, I got home and came across an article in Self about thyroid problems.

I ran through the checklist of symptoms and noticed I had a few, including some not even limited to my weight loss problems. It kind of confirmed what I'd been fearing all along. And I understand thyroid issues aren't the end of the world, but it's hard to grasp something may be wrong with your body.

Either way, I've schedule an appointment to go see my doctor. Unfortunately, she can't see me until mid-May, which gives me plenty of time to worry, plenty of stress. I'm trying not to, but it's getting so hard. So hard to deal with the fact I am working so hard and not seeing much progress. But as I've been writing for the past few months--what are my options?

Quit and see my weight go back up? Throw away two years of hard work? I refuse to do that, even if right now, the only thing I want to do is kick a few walls in.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I definitely think that is progress! Way to go on your pounds lost, your measuremetns, and you body fat. just keep it up and you will see those numbers drop. It is so wonderful you have someone like your trainer to support you and work through different options and things to try.

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (eventually Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) in 1997. I felt totally crappy for years prior--until I was sleeping 20 hours a day. I kid you not. Because I had other health issues, it got blown off by my doc. Finally, got a thyroid test and was out of whack. I had to switch endos to get one that wasn't a total ass. But finally got to feeling somewhat normal.

When you get the medication, if you have thyroid problems, it's like someone giving you a wake-up shot. Amazing.

Did I lose weight? Not much. I had gained 100 pounds by the time they diagnosed me. But some folks find it easier to lose after getting the dose in proper range.

Maybe you don't have any thyroid issue. Maybe you do. Trust me, it's betteer to KNOW and be able to address it.

Oh, and avoid soy. Bad for the thyroid.

The Princess

Grumpy Chair said...

Look at the big picture, if you keep at the same rate - 3 lbs. = 36 pounds in a year as is 1 1/4 inches lost = over 15 inches.

A lot of women have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is hard to diagnose with just a TSH level check. So request an antibody blood test too.

Lora said...

A sluggish thyroid could be the problem with the slow weight loss. It's not a big deal if that's all it is. A tiny pill everyday keeps it in check and the plus side? You'll start losing again!

iCANdothis said...

don't worry too much about the thyroid... it's really not that big of a deal. i mean, it IS a big deal, but all you do is take the pill once a day and it makes a difference. my thyroid stopped working when i was 11. i notice when i actually stick to taking the pill (i go through rebellion stages where i dont... bad idea) everything else just starts falling into place... your nails are healthier, your hair gets thicker, you have normal periods and you have more energy. if that is what the problem is, its a quick fix and don't worry too much. good luck!!!